1 STATEMENTS OF MISSION AND OBJECTIVES:
The mission of the faculty is provision of outstanding level of medical education and training, conduction of scientific researches and provision and promotion of high level of health services to the community and related sectors participation, so the followings outcomes are considered:
1. Qualification of candidates in medicine and health services aiming at:
a. Outstanding academic standard, which enables candidates to work in all components of primary health care and in the control & prevention of endemic diseases of Sudan.
b. Qualified doctors who can manage emergencies in medicine diagnose and treat common medical problems and refer difficult cases to senior colleague
2. Qualification of doctors who can under-take post graduate studies and training in all branches of medicine, doctors who stick to medical ethics during the professional career, doctors who are capable to deliver health service as team work with colleagues and other health personnel in the state and country at large and committed to long life learning.
3. Provision of continuous training to medical doctors, auxiliary medical staff, and nurses and to all personnel in health institutes.
4. Provision of postgraduate studies & training in PhD, MD, MSc and Diplomas in all branches of medicine and health service.
5. Carry out scientific researches that identify & solve health problems at the state and national levels. Strengthening and promotion of relationships between the faculty and the stake- holders in the federal ministry of health, state ministry of health, other universities, scientific research institutes and universities and scientific research institutes in the Sudan and abroad.
6. Awareness of the major international health problems and promotion of health services in the state and in the country at large. The mission & objectives were written and are available in the library, dean’s office, Obstetrics and Gynecology hospital and Accident & emergency hospital. The bylaw of the faculty, mission & objectives are available to the staff in written. Mission & objectives are delivered to the students in the introductory course in semester 1. At the community level mission and objectives are reflected in the faculty activities, programs & health services delivered by the faculty staff and students.
1.2 PARTICIPATION IN FORMULATION OF MISSION The mission &objectives were formulated and discussed in the university council with participation of state ministry of health. Mission &objectives were revised in the first academic conference in December 2006. Moreover, the mission and objectives were revised on ………
1.3 INSTITUTIONAL AUTONOMY AND ACADEMIC FREEDOM All the staff participated in the design of the curriculum and implementation of ten semester rather than twelve semester of the previous system through an Academic conference held in December 2006. The new curriculum was designed and implemented by all the staff with the help of the nearby universities and expertise using all the allocated resources necessary for this work.
1.4 EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES: The competencies required for graduation include:
1. Knowledge & understanding of, clinical, behavioral & social sciences including public health.
2. Appropriate foundation for future career in any branch of medicine.
3. Clinical skills to reach clinical diagnosis, treatment rehabilitation and prevention of diseases sticking to medical ethics.
4. Preparedness for postgraduate learning.
5. Ability to undertake lifelong learning & professional development.
6. Promotion of health services achieving the needs of the community within the socio-cultural context of Sudan.
7. Appropriate conduct with respect to colleagues, staff, patients and relatives.
8. Most of the outcomes to be acquired by graduation are linked to what is required in postgraduate training.
9. Students’ engagement in medical research relevant to health problems in Sudan.
10. Graduates briefed about common international health problems related outcomes e.g. HIV control, Poliomyelitis eradication.
The evidence of objectives achievement:
1. The graduates move across most of the health institutions and health services in the state effectively and nationwide.
2. The Nursing program graduated about 147 nurses while other programs e.g. laboratory science is about to start.
3. Post- graduate studies in different branches of Medicine were started.
4. Clinical researches were conducted to solve the main health problems at the state level and nationally e.g. VL, Anemia.
5. Good relationships have been established with national & international institutions. Many of the graduates have been engaged in postgraduate studies nationally or internationally.